Since 1798, Gammarelli is the house tailor of the Roman Clergy. In 1874 the store moved to Via Santa Chiara 34, in the building of the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy, where it still is today. Extremely light and stylish, Gammarelli socks are still produced in a small atelier just outside of Rome.
The socks are available in three colors and come in 100% lisle cotton or 100% Merino wool. Up to the knees – miraculously they will never fall off during the day – the socks are hand knitted from the best cotton fabric, using very long cotton fibers. The red socks were initially made for cardinals, the purple ones for bishops and the black ones for parish priests. Today, the subtle elegance of these socks has enticed clientele from all over the world.
Care has been taken to trace the ownership of any copyright material and to contact the owner. The author does not intend to infringe on anyone’s copyright for text, photos or otherwise. Anyone who feels that any item in these pages may have inadvertently breeched their copyright should advise the author via the contact sheet, including a link to the page, so that appropriate remedial action can be taken.