James Smith & SonsEstablished 1830
Founded in 1830 by James Smith, James Smith & Sons is one of the world’s oldest manufacturers of walking sticks and umbrellas. Whether used for decorative purposes or as a supportive walking accessory, James Smith & Sons have the most extensive and distinctive walking stick selection available anywhere in the world. A single-stick umbrella is essentially a walking stick with a canopy, and is strong enough to be used in the same way.
In 1851, Samuel Fox invented the lightweight steel frame, and umbrellas became easily available. James Smith II was one of the first umbrella makers to use Fox frames. Smith’s business grew to the point where he had to move to a larger premises in 53 New Oxford Street, where the shop, almost unchanged, remains to this day.
Care has been taken to trace the ownership of any copyright material and to contact the owner. The author does not intend to infringe on anyone’s copyright for text, photos or otherwise. Anyone who feels that any item in these pages may have inadvertently breached their copyright should advise the author via the contact sheet, including a link to the page, so that appropriate remedial action can be taken.